Friday, January 29, 2016

DecoArt Winter Wonderland Challenge

I decided to enter the DecoArt Winter Wonderland Challenge.  Today is the last day for submissions.  Looking at my piece, there a few more things I want to add, but time is not on my side.  FYI, I made a similar canvas previously, decided to experiment a bit, and had to start from scratch.  Ouch!  Anyway, click on the image to enlarge and I will do my best to describe my process.

DecoArt Supplies:
Americana Gloss Enamels Stick-On Stencil "Mod"
Fluid Media Acrylics in Prussian Blue Hue, Payne's Grey, Titanium White, Colbalt-Teal Hue, Quinacridone Violet, Dioxazine Purple, Cerulean Blue, Yellow Oxide, Raw Sienna and Titan Buff.
Americana Premium Matte Acrylics in Purple Cow, Wisteria, and Antique Mauve.
Dazzling Metallics in Ice Blue

Other Products:
A Snowflake Stencil I made with my eClips cutting machine
An old gift card, credit card or business card
A Brayer (optional)
Paint brushes of various shapes and sizes
Fan brush to add splatters of paint
A Black Micron Pen
A White Paint Marker, fine tipped
A Canvas Board sized 8" x 10" or A4 size.
"Singing Zombie" digital stamp by Rick St. Dennis, reversed and printed with a laser printer.

  1. Although my canvas board was pre-primed, I applied another coat of DA Gesso.
  2. I applied DA white tinting base as well as Prussian Blue Hue, Colbalt-Teal Hue and Dioxazine Purple to my canvas board and spread it around with a plastic gift card.  I kept repeating this process until I ended up with a look that I liked.
  3. I used White Gesso, Payne's Grey, and Quinacridone Violet along with a plastic gift card to make various hashes, marks and lines with the paint.
  4. I cut out a sample of my focal image, traced it onto the canvas, and coated the section with white gesso.  I used 2 coats.
  5. When dry, I applied Media Matte Medium to the white image block and to my reversed image on printer paper and allowed to dry. 
  6. Once dry, I applied a second coat of Media Matte Medium to both areas, applied my digitally stamped image (laser ink side down) and smoothed out the paper with a brayer, cleaning up any matte medium that may have oozed out.  I let this dry overnight.  No heat gun.
  7. The next morning I took a wet sponge and removed the paper off my canvas leaving a cool image transfer.  Andy has a tutorial on this process here.
  8. I then painted my focal image (colours will be listed in step 11). The "rays" coming from the image were painted with White Tinting Base, Dioxazine Purple and Cerulean Blue. When dry, I covered my Singing Zombie with a mask and used a fan brush with various colours of the fluid acrylics to add a splatter effect.  
  9. After various layers of paint, I went in with my Micron Pen to go over the lines of the image. This dried a bit shiny.  I've since put a layer of Media Matte Medium over the image, but haven't had a chance to take a new picture yet.
  10. I used the DA Stencil "Mod" as well as my handmade snowflake stencil with Glistening Snow-Tex to add dimension, some shimmer, and to add to the winter feel.
  11. The Zombie skin consisted mostly of Tinting White base, Colbalt-Teal Hue, Prussian Blue Hue, Purple Cow and Wisteria.  The wounds and mouth consisted of Titanium White, Antique Mauve and Quinacridone Violet.  The dark areas had Payne's grey added.  The teeth consisted of Titan Buff, Yellow Oxide and Raw Sienna as well as some highlights with my white marker. The hair consisted of various shades of grey using White mixing base with Payne's Grey. Dazzling Metallics in Ice Blue was used for the eyes.  
Things I'd like to add:
  1. I think it would look cool to add some DA Crackle Glaze to the zombie skin and once dry, add some antiquing cream to the image.  Cracked Zombie Skin would rock!  Perhaps I'll give that a go later.
  2. I had thought about adding the words "Winter Wonderland" along with some music notes to the rays coming from the Zombie to give the appearance of him singing.  I held off on this in fear of ruining my piece.
  3. I think I would have liked to grunge up the canvas a bit more, but sometimes less is more so I let it be.
Thanks for Looking!
~ Lady B ~

Friday, January 22, 2016

Creepy New Year with Lady B

Lady Brayton here to show you a creepy cute January Calendar I made using Rick's "January" digi stamp.  The stamp was coloured with Copic markers and scanned to my PC.  I then added a free calendar page I found on the net and added some cool background paper from the retired store of  Crafty Chaos Designs.  The paper came from the set "Technologie Fantastique".  
Click on image to enlarge.  I will be showing my Feb. calendar in a few days.

For those who did not see my December calendar during the Creepmas hop, here it is below:

The calendar above was made with Rick St. Dennis MFA's image "Fresh Decor 2015".
Once again the image was coloured with Copic markers, scanned to my pc, and a free printable calendar was added as well as a snowflake and sand timer.  The striped paper was in my stash and I scanned that as well.  Assembly was done in PhotoShop.

To find Rick's colouring books, click here.

~ Lady Brayton ~