Thursday, April 24, 2014

Aerocruiser 2014 with Everything but the Kitchen Sink!

I've been in a Steampunk mood and wanted to share one of the many projects I've been working on.  I used a NEW Rick St. Dennis image called "Aerocruiser" which should be in the Zibbet and Etsy shoppes soon.

Click image to enlarge and forgive the watermarks.

I colored the main image with copic markers and fussy cut the image.  Next, I did a rough image transfer from a photo I took.  I printed the image onto inkjet transparency film and allowed it to dry a bit.  Next, I took my 8" x 10" gallery wrapped canvas (which was primed with gesso) and applied DecoArt Decoupage glue in MatteI tried this on a whim as I don't own any gel medium. I placed the transparency ink side down and rubbed over the film with my fingers.  The picture was a sky scene with a church and some buildings in the darkness.  Some parts of the transfer didn't take and other parts smeared where I used to much Decoupage, but I love the finished look!  BTW, I just found out DecoArt has a DecouPage designed especially for photo transfers.
After the image transfer dried, I sealed the canvas with DecoArt DecouPage and used the decoupage to adhere my main image as well.

I wanted some dimension and bling in my project so I took gems, washers, beads, and watch parts and adhered them to various areas using Glossy Accents.

  I wanted the blanket to look like real fur so I sacrificed a mouse toy that belonged to my cats and clipped the fur off and attached it to the blanket with glossy accents.  Hey, at least I didn't cut my cat's fur off for the project!  Hmmm...what to make with cat fur?  LOL!

Lastly, I took some sheer ribbon and some striped ribbon, attached it to D rings, and swagged the ribbon across the balloon.  I added a piece of copper wire and called it a day.  I do hope you like what I've created.  It was definitely a fun project!

~ Lady Brayton ~

Sunday, April 20, 2014


I had a bit of extra time this week and I really wanted to play along with Haunted Design House Macabre Monday #186.  The theme is Steampunk Junk.

 A year or so ago I dropped my beloved smart phone.  I tried to fix it, but it was beyond repair. I kept the broken parts because I am a hoarder and I just knew I would have a use for my cell phone guts at some point.  Well, after a year, some tears, and a lot of money to buy a new phone, I found the perfect use for my broken phone.

Click image to enlarge:

 The skull was colored with Copic Markers.

Darice Embossing Folder: Steampunk Gears
Heavy Cardstock
Gallery Stretched Canvas 
Cell Phone Innards
Copper colored Gear from Tim Holtz Idea-ology Sprocket Gears

Decou-Page Matte (DS106-65)
Traditions Paints in the following colors: Prussian Blue (DAT25-35), Aquamarine (DAT29-35), Cobalt Blue (DAT55-35), Dioxazine Purple (DAT31-35) and Titanium White (DAT35-35)

Thanks for looking!
~ Lady B ~

Saturday, April 12, 2014

My First Attempt Making Steampunk Canvas

Here is a piece I made awhile back, but haven't shared on the boards yet.  This was my first canvas board I had ever played with.  Looking at it now, I would have added a lot more texture, but live and learn.  I learn what I like, what I don't like, and what I would like to change just by playing around.  I can't wait to get out my paints and mediums again so I can play and learn more.

Below is my 8" x 10" canvas board.  Click pics to enlarge.

The compass was a freebie from The Graphics Fairy and the female focal image is "Steampunk Burlesque" drawn by Rick St. Dennis MFA and can be found in Rick's Zibbet Shoppe.  Rick has other steampunk images as well along with over 700 digital images ranging from cute to traditional and going all the way over to the macabre side of the scale.  Rick's shoppe has something for everyone.

The sassy lass was colored with Copic Markers as was the compass.  I added a copper encased gem to the compass to contribute to the steampunk feel.

The die-cut cogs are Tim Holtz of course and were painted with DecoArt paints.  I added some copper and metal washers to the gears as well as a Tim Holtz watch face sticker which I grunged up with Distress ink.  One of the cogs has texture on it which was created with DecoArt Snow Tex DAS9-4.

I used Canvas Board for my backing and used the following products from DecoArt:
Acrylic Gesso (TXFP06-51) 
Americana Lamp (Ebony) Black(DA067)
Weathered Wood Crackle Medium (DAS8-9)
 Americana Antique Gold (DA09-3)
Americana Honey Brown (DA163-3)
Americana Sea Breeze (DA256-3)
Americana Alizarin Crimson (transparent) paint (DA179-3)
Decou-Page Matte (DS106-45)
Americana Dazzling Metallics in Worn Penny (DA287-3)
Americana Dazzling Metallics in Copper (DA205-3)
On a whim, I submitted my project to "Just Steampunk" magazine and was published in volume 4.  Monique, Aletha, and Miranda were all featured in volume 4 as well.  I'm currently working on a few projects to submit for volume 5 which is why I haven't been blogging too much.

Many of Rick's EDT have submitted projects to "Just Steampunk" and have been accepted to be published in the upcoming volume 5 edition!  Hopefully I will join the ranks with my projects.  I will share my newest creations when they are finished.  

Big news!  Since so many like the instant download feature on etsy, Rick has decided to keep the Etsy shoppe open in addition to having his Zibbet shoppe.  Best of all, you can find most of Rick's newest designs on etsy, including several new and exotic steampunk images that Rick drew especially for the members of the EDT for their special projects.

Cheers and have a happy weekend!
~Lady B~