Heart and Skull...Inspiration for the RSD February Challenge

Hi!  Lady B here sharing some inspiration for the RSD February Challenge.  For this challenge, participants must use a Rick St. Dennis image from his Etsy or Zibbet shops and the creation must contain one or more hearts either in the image itself or in the final project.  Read more details here.

I made a MM Canvas Board using a Skull from RSD's "Boneyard Skulls" digi set and DecoArt paints and Mediums.  Click on image to enlarge.


My real camera is MIA so I had to use my cell for photos.  I will try to post a better picture later.
~ Lady B ~

DecoArt Products: 
Other Products:
  • Canvas Board 8" x 10" from Jerry's Artarama
  • An old credit card
  • Drywall Tape from the Hardware store
  • Chatterbox Journaling Genie Stencil #3 Funky.  This stencil is so old, I don't even know if it exists anymore.  I used it to make the Swirled and Zig-Zag lines.
  • Any printable image of choice.  I used one of the Skulls from Rick St. Dennis MFA's "Boneyard Skulls" digital stamp set.
  • Access to a laser printer
  • Fountain Pen
  • Black and Opaque White India Ink
My Process:
  • Although my Canvas Board came pre-primed, I added another coat of gesso in white and dried with a heat gun being careful not to let the gesso bubble.
  • White tinting base and the fluid media acrylics were added in random spots on the canvas and the paint was spread with an old credit card.  American matte acrylics were applied as well.  I kept applying more paint and kept smushing it about until I achieved the look I wanted.  My paint mixture was thick so I allowed the canvas to dry overnight.
  • A heart shaped stencil was cut from paper, placed on the previously painted canvas, and white gesso was applied followed by Americana Premium Matte Acrylic in Purple Cow.
  • Media Matte Medium was applied to the heart as well as to the skull image (which was printed in reverse with a laser printer).
  • When dry, another coat of matte medium was applied to the heart and printed image.  The printed image was applied face down onto the heart and any bubbles or wrinkles were smoothed away.  The image was allowed to dry over night.
  • The paper was removed from the canvas with a wet sponge.   
  • After the paper was removed and the canvas was dry, I applied soft touch varnish to the heart. Two coats were applied and allowed to dry.  
  • Crackle glaze was applied to the heart and skull image and allowed to dry.
  • When dry, Carbon Black Antiquing cream was applied to the cracks in the heart and allowed to dry.  When dry, excess antiquing cream was wiped away with a slightly damp napkin.
  • The crackled heart and skull were sealed with soft touch varnish.
  • Using a credit card and gesso in black and white, several lines were made over the canvas.
  • Gesso in black was scraped through drywall tape in several areas.  I also did this with white gesso and prussian blue hue acrylic paint.  In some areas, the stencil paint/gesso was still a bit damp so new colours emerged.  A happy accident.
  • When the paint was dry, Modeling Paste in white was scraped through my journaling stencil.  
  • Titanium white fluid acrylic was painted over the dried white gesso for a brighter look.
  • White gesso was applied with a credit card and DA's "Mod" stencil in two areas.
  • Using black India Ink with a fountain pen, the white swirl and zig zag marks were outlined. The heart was also outlined with both black and white India Ink and the same inks were used on the skull image to add highlights and deepen the shadows of the image transfer.
  • The canvas was sealed with soft touch varnish.
  • Brush and stencil cleaner was used to clean off my stencils and fountain pens.
Thanks for looking!
~ Lady B

Comments