Another Steampunk Project

Lady B here.  I have been trying to use up my paper scraps and broken electronic pieces before my husband throws my stuff in the bin.  What he sees as junk or garbage, I see artistic opportunity.  I'm doing my best not to bring in new items until I use my old items so that I don't end up on the television show about hoarders.  

With my leftover bits and bobs, I made the Steampunk project below.  I'm not sure if I love it as it's a bit busy for my taste, but it did allow me to purge some of my creative energy.  I learn by playing and experimenting. That is how I discover what I like.  Just because this piece may not be perfect for me, someone else may love it or be inspired by it.  That is the beauty of art.  There is no right or wrong and no good or bad.  Everything is up to interpretation and the fun is in the journey.



Click image to enlarge.

I used the image "Steampunk Peg" which was drawn by Rick St. Dennis and is available for purchase exclusively at "I Brake for Stamps".  Peg was printed on Copic X-Press-It card and colored with Copic markers.  I used a base of 6" x 6" MDF board, part of my broken cell phone and Tim Holtz gear dies (Thanks, Mo!).  The gears were dry embossed with Darice "Steampunk Gears" embossing folder and painted with DecoArt Dazzling Metallics in Worn Penny then aged with a wash of DecoArt Traditions Carbon Black acrylic paint. The textured areas on the gears is DecoArt Snow-Tex.  My tip of the day: when painting heavily textured areas, a sponge dabber works great!

I hope I've inspired you to try something new.  Now go to your crafty area and play!  If you are in need of...or just want Steampunk images, Rick has plenty in both his Zibbet and Etsy Shoppes.  Speaking of Steampunk, there are still a couple of days to join Rick's Progressive Challenge :)


Find more inspiration at Rick's other sites:

  • The Gallerie: An inspirational gallery that displays Rick's images in various projects without boring you with babble.

Comments

  1. wow, gorgeous! details and colors are superb! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. It maybe rather 'busy' but..... it is totally gorgeous.
    Still my crafting goddess...love always xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Lady B!! I love the colouring on Steampunk Peg, and your mixed media frame is stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment