"Varying Visages of Vincent" (HDH100)

This week marks the 100th challenge for Macabre Monday's at Haunted Design House.  This year Vincent Price would have turned 100 had he still been among the living.  To celebrate this milestone, the challenge for Macabre Monday for this week is "Varying Visages of Vincent".  We were to 
create a dark, Gothic, or Halloween-based art piece
that is inspired by the TRUE Master of the Macabre, Vincent Price.

Here is what I came up with for the challenge:





I was inspired by the movie "The Oblong Box" in which Vincent Price appears.  One of the characters in this film was buried alive which made me think of the safety coffins of the 19th century.  Of course to memorialize Price, I created a tombstone for him and planted it in the scene.  Notice the string from the coffin that attaches to the bell above ground?  That was created so if one was buried alive and awoke in the coffin he could call for help by pulling the string which rings the bell.  Being buried alive was a very real fear back in the day.  Poe wrote of it often in his works.  It would suck to wake up on the wrong side of the dirt!

Anyway, to celebrate its 100th challenge, HDH is having a HUGE blog candy and blog hop. Check their site for the details.  Here is a picture of the candy:



Comments

  1. ACK! Brilliantly creepy! I always think of that scene from"The Serpent and the Rainbow" where the dude wakes up in the coffin with the dirt falling through the cut out in the front! He could have used a bell! Great project!!!
    Thanks for joining us this week for our special challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb I love when people do something that little bit different. You are one talented and creative person and this is amazing. I actually made my first bf promise that if I died he would wait by my grave to make sure I was properly dead with the bell scenario haha nutjob. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOh, I guess that explains why he was creamated. LOL Seriously, though, this is just FABULOUS! A nice little bit of trivia to tuck away and a super project all the way around. Thanks for joining the Minions in our little celebration. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome project, LB! But it seriously creeos me out. I am terrified of being buried alive. Yeesh!!! Super clever, my Twisted Sistah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BRAVA!!! so totally clever and creepy!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment